Wyeast Activator™ 3056 Bavarian Weizen
This proprietary blend of a top-fermenting neutral ale strain and a Bavarian wheat strain is a great choice when a subtle German style wheat beer is desired. The complex esters and phenolics from the wheat strain are nicely softened and balanced by the neutral ale strain.
- Flocculation: Medium
- Attenuation: 73-77%
- Temperature Range: 64-74F, 18-23C
- Alcohol Tolerance: 10% ABV
Instructions for the proper use of Activator™ packages:
- To activate, locate and move inner packet to a corner. Place this area in palm of one hand and firmly smack package with the other hand to break inner nutrient packet. Confirm inner packet is broken.
- Shake the package well to release the nutrients.
- Allow package to incubate and swell for three hours or more at 70-75°F (21-24°C) or immediately direct pitch into wort.
- Use sanitizing solution to sanitize the package before opening.
- Shake well, open and pour Activator™ into five gallons of well-aerated or oxygenated wort at 70-75°F (21-24°C). Maintain temperature until fermentation is evident: by CO2 bubble formation, bubbling airlock or foaming on top of wort.
- Adjust to desired fermentation temperature.
Full swelling of Activator™ packages is not required for their use. The contents of Activator™ packages may be direct-pitched without prior activation. Our smack pack technology is intended to be a tool for your use in determining viability, and in initiating metabolism for faster starts to fermentation.
Swelling of the packs before they are smacked .If the packs warm up, dissolved CO2 in the yeast slurry will come out of solution and cause the pack to swell. It is not going from liquid to a gas state.. the liquid form of CO2 only exists at extremely high pressure or extremely low temperatures.The swelling DOES NOT indicate that there is an infection or cross contamination.